Things to do during bathroom breaks
If you take care of someone with Crohn’s or Colitis, you know that going out to eat is always an adventure. Between finding something to eat for those on restrictive diets (low fiber, low residue, dairy free, gluten free, the diet restrictions are endless…) and timing the all important bathroom trips, going out to eat takes some planning. Since Dan’s surgery in 2011, we haven’t had to deal with the restrictive diet issue much (thank G-d because that was a huge pain in the butt, but I’ll elaborate more on that at a later date) but bathroom trips are part of our regular trips out to eat.
The big thing that I deal with when we go out to eat is what to do while Dan is in the bathroom and I’m stranded at our table alone. I was talking with a friend recently about funny ideas for blog posts (that don’t pun on bowel movements, because those are endless), and this came up as a hot topic and one that I could have some fun with. Since we all know that these mealtime bathroom trips can be lengthy, I have compiled a list of some things that one can do to kill time while you are out at a restaurant, alone at the table.
- If you have a smart phone, go on Facebook/Twitter
- Ask your server for crayons and a kids menu
- Read a book, magazine, newspaper or whatever is available (menu might be the only option)
- Steal food off your patient’s plate
- Order dessert
- Make friends with your waiter/waitress
- Make a to do list for the day/week/month
- Order a drink
- Go to the bathroom yourself
- Get the check
- Text your patient words of encouragement (this comes from a How I Met Your Mother Episode)
- Do work
- Go to the bar and watch TV
- Build a house out of sugar packets
- Make origami with your napkin
- Call a friend/family member
- Take a catnap
- Listen to music
- Start a blog
A lot of these ideas are dependent on bringing stuff with you, but hey, you always need to be prepared for those moments when you might have some time to kill.
What do you do to kill time when your significant other/sibling/patient is in the bathroom?